Building Department Updated: Apr 5, 2022
The Building Dept. public counter is open between 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. City Hall is closed every other Friday.
The Plan Check Engineer is available during the counter hours of 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., and an appointment is highly recommended. You can reach Dave Takata at (562) 868-0511, ext. 7366.
The Building Department is responsible for compliance with the City adopted Los Angeles County Building Codes in all RESIDENTIAL, INDUSTRIAL, and COMMERCIAL buildings and other structures within the City for all:
- New Construction
- Remodeling or Tenant Improvements
- Conversions, Alterations or Repairs
Adherence to the Building Code ensures that each project meets a minimum set of safety standards, preserving the value and integrity of the homes, buildings and structures. Appropriate permits must be obtained prior to the start of any project and are subject to applicable fees and inspections. Please note: Permit applications may be downloaded for your use. Please visit the Building Handouts page to download permit applications.
To view open permits or if you would like to research permits that have been issued commencing from September 2009 to present for properties located within the City of Santa Fe Springs please visit: BUILDING PERMIT VIEWER. For permits issued prior to September 2009 you may visit the Building Department, during public counter hours, to research property permit files.
According to City Ordinance Chapter 50, you will be required to identify materials that will be reused, recycled, or disposed of - the required goal is to reuse or recycle at least 75% of project waste. A Construction and Demolition Recycling Form must be approved prior to permit issuance. - Click here to download recycling forms.
The building inspector(s) are available for phone or counter consultations from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. All inspection requests may be requested up to 48 hours in advance. The Plan Check Engineer is available for counter consultations from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and plans reviews only by appointment. Additionally, you may contact the Building Department staff by calling City Hall at (562) 868-0511 ext. 7560 or the extensions provided below:
- Teresa Cavallo, Planning Program Assistant - Ext. 7309
- Lorna Lawrence, Building Clerk - Ext. 7452
- Dave Takata, P.E., Consulting Building Plan Check Engineer Ext. 7366
- Charles Richardson, Building Inspector Ext. 7364
The City of Santa Fe Springs currently uses the following Building Codes:
- 2023 County of Los Angeles Building Code (Title 26)
- 2023 County of Los Angeles Electrical Code (Title 27)
- 2023 County of Los Angeles Plumbing Code (Title 28)
- 2023 County of Los Angeles Mechanical Code (Title 29)
- 2023 County of Los Angeles Residential Code (Title 30)
- 2023 County of Los Angeles Green Building Standards Code (Title 31)
- 2023 County of Los Angeles Existing Building Code (Title 33)
Information about licensed contractors may be obtained by contacting the Contractors’ State License Board at 1020 N Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. or the website: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/
Back to Top