COVID-19 Plan Check Submittal Process
*Delays are expected during this time period. Projects that would typically be processed over the counter may now take up to two (2) weeks to process. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Step 1: Planning Department Review
- Email a PDF of the architectural plans to Cuong Nguyen, firstname.lastname@example.org. For those unable to submit a PDF of the project plans, you may submit a paper copy of plans by dropping the plans off at the west entry of City Hall. At that location, there is a table with a box to deposit the plans.
- A project planner will be assigned. The project planner will review the architectural plans for compliance with the Zoning Code. If you are resubmitting plans for a project that is already in plan check, please make sure that is clearly indicated. If you are already working with a planner, please also include the name of said planner in your resubmittal.
- The project planner will either provide the applicant with corrections or authorize the plans for submittal to the Building Department for plan check. If corrections are required, the applicant will re-submit revised plans directly to the project planner.
- Once plans are authorized for plan check submittal, the project planner will instruct the applicant to email a PDF of the entire set of plans, a completed building permit application, and, if necessary, structural calculations and soils report (collectively referred to as the Plan Check Submittal Package) to the project planner.
- The project planner will then forward the plan check package to the Building Department.
Plan Check Submittal Packages shall be in the following format:
A building permit application, both sides completed, with full description of scope of work and valuation specified, in a single file.
A single pdf file of the complete set of plans to include both architectural and structural sheets. Please make sure the sheets are in order, in horizontal direction, right side up and the file is “unlocked”.
A separate single pdf file of the Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing plans, if any. Please make sure the sheets are in order, in horizontal direction and right side up. This would be for reference only and for further evaluation of the project, so the applicant may be directed to other agencies to obtain their approvals and clearances.
An unlocked single pdf copy of the structural calcs, if applicable or required. Please make sure the sheets are in order and right side up and digitally stamped and signed by the design engineer.
A separate file for each supporting material (soils report, cut-sheets, ICC or City of LA research reports, product information sheet etc.) if any.
Each pdf file shall be clearly named (labeled). Any incomplete submittal packages not following these directions will not be accepted for screening and may cause further delays. For the time being; all submittal packages may be sent via “Dropbox”, “WeTransfer”, by mailing a CD or flash drive containing all the requested material, or any other approved similar means. Multiple emails, use of I-clouds or Google drive are not acceptable means.
Step 2: Building Department Review
- The Building Plan Check Engineer will review the plan check package for completeness.
- Once the plan check package is deemed complete, Building Department staff will process the application(s) and contact the applicant to obtain payment. The applicant will also be provided with an agency referral sheet, which advises the applicant what other agency clearances are required prior to issuance of any permits.
- After payment is received, the applicant must mail hard copies of the plan check package, which must include one (1) full size set of plans (plus one set of calculations and soils report, if needed) for commercial projects or two (2) full size sets of plans and one set of energy calculations (plus one set of structural calculations and soils report, if needed) for residential projects.
All items must be mailed to:
City of Santa Fe Springs
Attn: Building Department
11710 Telegraph Road
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
- The Building Plan Check Engineer will review the hard copies for conformance with the Building Code. If corrections are required, Building Department staff will contact the applicant to make arrangements for shipping out or picking up the marked plan check package from City Hall. Plans may be picked up by appointment only and will be left on a table outside the west entrance to City Hall.
- To receive corrections by mail, applicant must provide a pre-paid shipping label.
- To schedule an appointment to pick up plans, contact Anh Wood at email@example.com.
- Revisions must be resubmitted by mail. For rechecks, the revised plan check package along with the original marked plan check package and all correction lists must be resubmitted.
- Once plans are approved, Building Department staff will contact the applicant to make arrangements for pulling permits.
Director of Planning and Community Development
E-mail Wayne Morrell
The Planning and Development department provides information and assistance to the Planning Commission regarding the development and improvement of the City. The staff assists landowners and other citizens with their development needs and is also responsible for the City's General Plan which contains the goals, policies, and programs for current and future development within the City. This department also provides building services, and undertakes economic development.
The Planning and Development department is composed of four primary responsibilities: Building; Economic Development; and Current/Advanced Planning.
Planning and Development staff includes:
- Wayne M. Morrell, Director of Planning
- Cuong Nguyen, Senior Planner
- Laurel Reimer, Contract Planner
- Jimmy Wong, Associate Planner
- Vince Velasco, Associate Planner
- Claudia Jimenez, Assistant Planner
- Teresa Cavallo, Planning Program Assistant
- Lorna Lawrence, Building Permit Clerk
- Anh Wood, Planning Administrative Clerk
- Andrew Gonzales, Planning Intern
If you would like to obtain additional information about the Planning and Development Department, please call (562) 868-0511, ext. 7550
Click on provided link for:
City of Santa Fe Springs Zoning / City Code
Planning Handouts and Maps
We would like to know about what you think is working well in Santa Fe Springs, as well as things that may need to be changed or improved. We are interested in the qualities and characteristics of Santa Fe Springs that support community members’ healthy lifestyles, as well as those that might make healthy habits challenging.
The City cares what you think about our customer service.
If you have interacted with Planning and Development staff, please fill out the survey below and email all responses as an attachment to PlanningSurveys@santafesprings.org. We strive to provide exceptional experiences and your feedback helps us achieve that goal.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion.
Click here to take the survey