| Sorry, this page has moved!|
Please click here to go to the new location.
| || |
Did you know that one in five adults struggles with reading?
|This program matches adults who struggle with reading and writing with trained volunteers who meet with their students in the Library's literacy lab once or twice a week. |
To become a tutor:
- Submit a New Tutor Info Form online or in person at the Literacy Office.
- Register for the next tutor training workshop. The workshop is a total of 8 hours over the course of three evenings. You will learn various techniques to tutor reading and writing. Tutoring days and times are mutually agreed upon between the tutor and student. All materials are provided. No previous experience necessary. The next tutor training workshop will be held September 4, 5, and 6. All sessions run from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Commit to stay in the program for six months.
Book Discussion Group
To become a student:
- Submit a New Student Info Form online or in person at the Literacy Office.
- Literacy staff will contact you to schedule short assessment.
- Once assessment has been evaluated you will be placed in one of the three groups: one-on-one tutoring with a volunteer tutor; independent lab work with assistance; or, a small-group writing class.
- You will meet once or twice a week.
- All classes are free of charge.
- you must be 16 years or older
- you must speak and understand English
- your primary need must be to improve your reading and writing
All tutors and adult students are invited to participate in the monthly book discussion group. We read many types of books: fiction and non-fiction, bestsellers and more obscure titles. The group meets for a potluck dinner in the library and then discusses the book over dessert. Members involved in the literacy program receive books free of charge; family and friends pay a small fee. Call the literacy office to sign up or get more information. (562) 868-7738
Career Online High School
Earn an accredited high school diploma while gaining real-world career training through a flexible, supportive, online education program.