| || |
Reading Club is the children's literacy tutorial program. It is designed for children ages 7–12 who are having trouble with reading in school and need some extra help. It is not a program for good readers to get extra practice.
- Session 1 begins in September and ends in December. Session 2 runs from February to May. Registration cards are available at the library a month before a session begins. Registration for the next session is August 13 - September 15, 2012.
- Volunteer tutors read to the children, work on sight vocabulary, phonics and other word-attack skills, comprehension, and writing. They follow a structured curriculum. The next tutor training workshop for Reading Club is January 15, 17, 22 & 24 from 6 - 9 p.m. Call to register for the next workshop.
- Children are organized into groups of two to four according to age and ability.
- All children are given a short assessment before they can begin classes. Children meet in the library twice a week depending on their age. Students meet twice a week, Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs. Times are 3:30 – 4:30 p.m., 4:45 – 5:45 p.m. or 6 – 7 p.m. Tutor times are based on age, ability and tutor availability. Students are only accepted at the beginning of each session.
- Reading Club Families are encouraged to attend monthly Family Nights to explore ways to reinforce skills the children are learning and to practice activities they can do at home.