| Sorry, this page has moved!|
Please click here to go to the new location.
Turn-of-the-Century Ranching Time Period
From 1870 to 1920 Santa Fe Springs was the site of several impressive agricultural enterprises. Originally called Fulton Wells, this city was started by J.E. Fulton, who used its sulphur-rich water to establish a health resort that treated tuberculosis in the 1870s. Later he sold part of his property to Eli Hawkins, who developed the land as an elegant Victorian estate in 1880. The ranch, which featured the finest in Victorian architecture and gardens, has been reconstructed by the City as Heritage Park. Another family, the Clarkes, hired innovative architect Irving Gill to build a country estate here in 1916. This distinctive-looking home has been restored by the City for public use. Together these two ranches encompassed about 175 acres of citrus groves. Other elegant estates existed near the Telegraph Road/Norwalk Blvd. intersection but were destroyed during the oil boom of the 1920s.